Sunday 21 February 2016

The kindness of others

When something like dementia hits a family, its important to seek help and support - especially for the carer. A break, even for just an hour, can make all the difference for their piece of mind.

My mother's dementia gets worse by the month. She is now like a child, accept she is like a child that doesn't learn. You tell her things several times, but its unlikely to stick. She is even more dependent on my dad, more than ever before. There is literally no way she can look after herself and sadly, at the rate the disease is taking over her mind, I'm not certain my dad can continue to be her carer a year or so from now.

The kindness of others can be a comfort in such a horrible situation. Its heart warming that friends will gather and offer help in any way they can. These people I am most thankful for.

I think I can now be certain that my mother truly is gone and I miss her every single day. If I could go back to before this happened, I would have done so much more to be there for her and cherish our time together.

You never know when you're going to loose a parent, so make the most of it whilst you still can because sometimes life can be incredibly cruel.

F x


No comments:

Post a Comment